In this article, I will share about 8 steps to upgrade your PC to Windows 8. Upgrading is easy but sometime tricky. This article will give you step-by-step to upgrade your existing PC into Windows 8.
There are two main scenario A and B. Both scenario will have same step but there are specific advise based on the scenario.
- Scenario A. If you have old pc / notebook that is manufactured before Windows Vista / 7 Release (before 2007)
- Scenario B. If you have pc / notebook that is preinstalled with Windows 7 or has Windows 7 Driver (after 2008).
Step 1 – Backup your Existing OS
Backup first before you upgrade to Windows 8. I suggest you to backup using Windows Backup or others backup tools.
- Backup your Windows Vista / 7 using Windows Backup Here
- Using third party software such as To Do Backup Free
- No Do Backup, If you upgrade your Windows Vista / 7 to Windows 8, Windows 8 installer backup your current OS and can restore in a minute if you fail in upgrading
Step 2 – Preparing The Installer
The best ways to install windows 8 is using USB Stick, You can download the Windows 7 USB Tools here. Follow the step you are ready to go.
Step 3 – Choosing The Upgrade Model
You can clean install, upgrading with apps, or upgrading by saving the user files. Having trouble to choose one, here are the details:
- Clean install. This method will erase anything in your drive including your data. This step is recommended if you are ready to start new life with Windows 8 without any Apps. This option is called NOTHING in Windows 8. Be sure to backup your Windows and Data. This will be a good option if you have Scenario A
- Upgrading with Apps. This option will be available if you are in Scenario B. The Windows 8 Installer will keep your apps and will request you to uninstall your application that not compatible with Windows 8 (Such As MSE)
- Upgrading with User Files. This option will be available if you are in Scenario B. The windows 8 installer will keep your user files and move the old apps in Windows.old folder
Clean install is recommended for quick install, if you don’t want to clean install be sure to check list several constraints before you use follow steps 2 and steps 3.
- You don’t changes the advanced system configuration such as moving TEMP location or changes the Paging Files
- Your notebook / pc has no or less system services. If you have Keyboard hooker, OSD display, or Hybrid Engine like in a new laptop, you need to uninstall first although Windows 8 have no problem about that
- Your document is stored in default storage C:/User/… if you are moving the document into others location be sure to Backup
If you have no issues in above steps, you can safe to upgrade. But if you changes one of the steps above you should change it into default location before you upgrade
Step 4 – Is the drivers ready?
If you are in Scenario B, there is a huge possibility that your hardware vendor ready to give you the latest driver and app. Waiting is the best option before you upgrade to your Windows 8.
If your are in scenario A. you can go and trust the Windows 8 driver to cover your hardware.
Step 5 – Executing The Upgrade
If you are in scenario A, you can follow this step
- Follow step 1 – 4
- Booting your PC using Windows 8 installer
- Format the system partition
- Install to the system partition (it will only take less an hour)
- Prepare other installer
If you are in scenario B, you can follow this step
- Follow step 1 – 4
- Booting your PC using Windows 8 installer or you can open the installer when Windows 7 / Vista is running
- Select the upgrade model.
- Upgrading will take twice or third time (and it will take an hour or two)
- Prepare to reinstall the apps
Having trouble with upgrade ? just leaving the comment